Careers Education, Information, Advice and Guidance (CEIAG) at Lawrence Sheriff : The Careers Program at Lawrence Sheriff is developed and revised on an ongoing basis so that the program can endeavour to fulfil the Department of Education’s Careers Strategy (released December 2017) which outlines the Gatsby Benchmarks as comprehensive guidance for all schools when delivering careers related learning and activities.
An overview of the program offered to students;
· A tailored program of events is planned every year for Years 7 to 11.
· In addition to this Year 8 and Year 9 receive dedicated careers lessons within a rotation.
· Year 11 students also receive a one to one Career Guidance appointment, delivered by a trained QCF Level 6 Career Guidance Practitioner. As part of this appointment all students receive a personalised Action Plan, which will help them to focus on their Post 16 options.
· A designated Work Experience Week, which normally takes place for Year 11 after exams in July each year. Details will be sent out to students/ parents & carers before Christmas 2022.
· Students in Years 10 to 13 currently have access to a wealth of virtual work experience (VWEX) options and we have developed relations with Medic Mentors and Speakers for School.
· Regular Careers Newsletters are also emailed to all students and to parents/carers via Insight.
· Years 12 and 13 have a comprehensive programme of Careers related activities in the Sixth Form. Please refer to the Sixth Form pages or contact the Sixth Form staff.
Further to the program all students can access impartial careers information, advice, and guidance from Mrs Warde and all students and parents/carers have access to the National Careers Service helpline, which offers comprehensive information via their Careers Adviser Team. Students and parents/carers can access this service via the information below;
National Careers Service Helpline;
Available everyday 8am till 10pm on 0800 100 900 or online https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk
Should you have any questions regarding this program please contact Mrs Warde directly; firstname.lastname@example.org
Students have access to a range of up to date careers resources such as books and leaflets in our Library. However, should there be information required on a particular career that is not in the library please contact Mrs Warde.
Tutor Time Careers Activities.
From September 2022 all students Year 7 to Year 12 will receive a planned careers learning activity during their designated Careers Tutor time session, which is once a fortnight on a Wednesday.
During these sessions we follow the CDI’S Career Development Framework which allows students to explore the framework’s six elements:
Grow throughout Life,
Balance Life and Work
See the Big Picture.
We also enable students during these sessions to develop key Employability Skills through a range of resources and activities, which include off timetable events, presentations and assembly talks.
We regularly interact with local companies and business professionals who assist us with the delivery of various careers activities. We have working partnerships with The Careers & Enterprise Company (CEC), and Warwickshire County Council Skills for Employment Team, Work Pays, Project Ask, Amazing Apprenticeships, CWR, Oxford Life Skills, our own Alumni network, local colleges and universities and the Careers Development Institute (CDI).
In addition to this we work with the Coventry & Warwickshire LEP Growth Hub, this partnership gives us a designated Enterprise Coordinator, an Enterprise Advisor and access to the Coventry & Warwickshire Careers Hub. All these partnerships enable us to deliver a broad range of CEIAG across all year groups.
We are always open to meeting individuals and companies who would be interested in helping us in the following ways:
· Presenting an assembly talk to a group of students about the job you do or the company you work for.
· Could you or your company could offer a work experience placement to students in Year 11, 12 or 13
· Attend our in-house Careers Fair’s.
Lawrence Sheriff School: Provider Access Policy: Policy statement on provider access for Careers
Should you require any further careers information, advice or guidance please contact.
Mrs A. Warde
Head of Careers and Alumni
Office Hours; Monday to Thursday 9.00am – 2.45pm (Term time only)
Updated by Mrs Warde on 12th July 2022.