LAWRENCE SHERIFF SCHOOL
ADMISSIONS TESTING ARRANGEMENTS
INFORMATION FOR PARENTS AND CARERS
2019-2020 ACADEMIC YEAR
The normal admission points for entry to the school are at the start of Year 7 and Year 12.
Year 7 Entry
If you wish your son to join us when he transfers to Year 7 please refer to the Admissions Policy for full details including timescales for applications please click here. You will need to contact the Admissions Service at Warwickshire County Council who administer the 11+ testing process on our behalf. Contact details for the Admissions Service are at the end of this document.
The school holds an Open Evening for parents and pupils in Year 5 in late June each year (please contact the school office for further details). This event offers parents and pupils the opportunity look around the school and meet staff and current students to talk about life at Lawrence Sheriff before they register for the 11+ test.
Year 12 Entry
If you are looking to join our sixth form in Year 12, please refer to the Sixth Form pages on our website please click here and the Admissions Policy please click here for further details.
The Sixth Form Open Evening is held in October each year (please contact the Sixth Form Team for further details).
Admission to any school outside the usual age of transfer can be quite complex and take some time to complete, and at Lawrence Sheriff School we are usually over-subscribed in Years 7-11. Even where students are of a comparable academic standard to their peer group, it will usually be necessary to lodge a formal appeal for admission to the school.
Admission to the school will therefore normally take up to three stages:
· Firstly, formal testing of the student to assess their academic ability. [Please note: students who have previously been tested for admission will not be re-tested.]
· Secondly, depending on the results of that testing you may choose to lodge a formal application through the relevant Local Authority Admissions Service (Warwickshire County Council for Warwickshire residents, but if you live outside Warwickshire you should contact your own local authority in the first instance).
· Thirdly, if the school is not able to offer a place in response to that application then parents may wish to consider lodging a formal appeal to an independent panel who will consider whether the pupil should be admitted to the school. However, as the school is heavily over-subscribed, please be aware that the majority of appeals are unsuccessful, even where a pupil has achieved the qualifying standard.
Stage 1 - Testing Arrangements
How to apply for testing
- If the pupil concerned is in Year 6 and looking for admission to LSS at the start of Year 7 you will need to contact the Admissions Service at Warwickshire County Council in order to register your son for the 11+. They will be able to explain your position with regard to the testing, waiting list and appeals systems. If you are applying after the deadline for registration you will be considered a late applicant. The contact details for the Admissions Service are at the end of this document.
- If the pupil concerned is currently in Year 7 AND is aged under 12 years and wishes to apply for a transfer to Year 7 at LSS, then you should contact the Admissions Service at Warwickshire County Council in order to register your son for the 11+. They will be able to explain your position with regard to the 11+ testing and the appeals system. The contact details for the Admissions Service are at the end of this document.
- If the pupil concerned is currently in Year 7 BUT is aged 12 or over then he will be tested by LSS to establish whether he is of comparable ability to students currently in Year 7. There will be two tests in Mathematics and English. You will be notified of the outcome of these tests in writing. The contact details for Lawrence Sheriff School are at the end of this document.
- If the pupil concerned is currently in Years 8, 9, 10 or 11 then he will be tested by LSS to establish whether he is of comparable ability to students currently in the relevant year group. There will be two tests in Mathematics and English. You will be notified of the outcome of these tests in writing. The contact details for Lawrence Sheriff School are at the end of this document.
· 11+ Tests – Warwickshire County Council will provide you with information about the test date and arrangements. Details of the 11+ test are available in the school’s Admissions Policy, available on the school website www.lawrencesheriffschool.com under Parents and Students\Key Information and Planner\School Policies.
· In-house tests – For those students who are being tested by Lawrence Sheriff School, on receipt of a test enquiry form our Examinations Officer will contact you to arrange a time for your son to sit the tests, which will consist of Mathematics and English papers. You will not be supplied with any past papers as the tests are intended to ascertain whether your son is of a comparable standard to other students in his year group. No additional preparation is needed for these ability tests. You will be notified in writing of the outcome of the tests. Please be aware that it will take some time for the test to be set up and for results to be sent to you as the papers will be marked and moderated in school.
Stage 2 – Application to the Local Authority Admissions Service
Depending on the results of the testing, you may wish to proceed with an application for admission. To do this you will need to contact the Admissions Service at Warwickshire County Council if you are resident in Warwickshire (or your own Local Authority if you live outside Warwickshire) to make a formal application. However, even if your son is deemed to be of a comparable standard to our existing students, if we are over-subscribed in the relevant year group we will be unable to make him an offer of a place. You will be notified of the outcome of your application and if we are unable to offer you a place then you will be notified of your right to lodge a formal appeal. However, as the school is heavily over-subscribed, please be aware that the majority of appeals are unsuccessful, even where a pupil has achieved the qualifying standard.
You can lodge a formal appeal by contacting the Admissions Service at Warwickshire County Council to discuss the appeals process and obtain the relevant forms. Warwickshire County Council will establish an independent appeals panel to hear your son’s case within thirty working school days of the receipt of the formal appeal papers (not from the date of your enquiry). In the event that your son is offered a place at LSS, he must start at the school within four weeks of the offer, otherwise the place will be withdrawn. However, please be aware that the majority of appeals are unsuccessful.
Whilst all these stages will be completed as quickly as possible, if your son is offered a place there may be a long period of time between you first contacting Lawrence Sheriff School and your son starting here. If your son is not currently placed in a school you should therefore consider applying to other schools to enquire about the possibility of him taking up a place pending the outcome of the testing, application and appeals processes. If your son is admitted to another school this will have no bearing on the appeal decision, but will provide him with some continuity in his education.
I hope this information is of use to you as you make arrangements for your son’s future. If you require any further information, please do not hesitate to contact Mrs Batchelor (PA to the Headteacher).
Contact details for the Admissions Service at Warwickshire County Council:
Education and Learning
Warwickshire County Council
Saltisford Office Park
Tel: 01926 414143 Fax: 01926 742084
Contact details for Lawrence Sheriff School: Standard Date of Birth Ranges for 2019-2020:
Mrs Lorraine Batchelor Year 7: 1 September 2007 – 31 August 2008
PA to the Headteacher Year 8: 1 September 2006 – 31 August 2007
Lawrence Sheriff School Year 9: 1 September 2005 – 31 August 2006
Clifton Road Year 10: 1 September 2004 – 31 August 2005
Rugby Year 11: 1 September 2003 – 31 August 2004
Tel: 01788 542074, Fax: 01788 567962