BusinessSubject specific entry requirements.
Grade 6 or above in GCSE English.
How the course is assessed.
Where does it lead?
Through the study of this subject, students will gain an understanding of the world of business and begin to understand how current world events impact organisations large and small and develop the skills necessary for reading a variety of subjects at university. A large proportion of our students have gone on to university to study Business, Economics, Mathematics and Social Sciences as well as languages. Others have pursued a vocational route and have undertaken apprenticeships at well-known engineering and financial institutions.
Year 1: Advanced Level Business
Theme 1: Marketing and People
Theme 2: Managing business activities
Year 2: Advanced Level Business
Theme 3: Business Decisions and Strategies
Theme 4: Global Business
Through the use of business case studies, videos and ICT; students will gain a broad understanding of these key topics. In addition to gaining a range of transferable skills such as data analysis, building arguments, recognising and solving problems; students will learn to write detailed essay and carry out research.
You can expect to:
· Learn about a wide range of private and public sector organisations, the markets they serve and how they add value.
· Investigate businesses from the perspective of a range of different stakeholder groups.
· Undertake group work and independent study.
· Develop literacy, numeracy, research and presentation skills.
· Learn about the current structure of business and business practice.
Other useful information
Students are encouraged to participate in the following:
· Young Enterprise and a variety of business challenges.
· A range of trips and business related enrichment activities.
· Keep up-to-date with current affairs and read around the subject using apps, journals, newspapers and textbooks.
Students’ views …
“I enjoyed the course as topics were related to businesses I knew. I also found our business scrapbooks useful as I was able to keep all my business research in one place.”
“I initially found writing essays very difficult but once I learnt how to structure them I started to achieve really good grades.”
“I wanted to study a new subject and Business combined well with my other subjects of Biology and Geography.”